Chapter Four
5th May 2004
The sky was clearing when Natasha and Ashley walked out of the house at 6 pm. They had decided to go to the restaurant to have some dinner before their meeting with Allison. Walking to Natasha’s car, Ashley gripped her hand and squeezed.
“Nat, you are the best thing that ever happens to me. I am so glad that you are always around when I need you most.” Natasha smiled at that and squeezed her back.
“Hey! You are also the best thing that happens to me Ash. You are always providing me with something that I can poke my face in.” She joked.
They both laughed nervously at the lame joke and tried to be as cheerful as possible. Ashley could tell how edgy Natasha was when her knuckles grew white with her tight grip on her steeling wheel. She reached out and patted Natasha’s hand.
“We will be alright, Nat. Don’t worry okay? Nothing that she says will affect us now. We have loving husbands and wonderful children and a load of wonderful friends. And we have each other. Nothing she said tonight will hurt us. We can do this together. You told me so!”
Natasha slowly the car and turned to look at her brave loving friend briefly.
“Yes, we will Ash. We are going through this together. We will not flounder because we have each other and because we have our husbands and our children. We have to be strong for them.”
Natasha said softly, almost to herself. The two of them rode in silence for the rest of the journey, each keeping their thoughts secret.
They reached Jennifer’s Bar half an hour before the appointed time. A sense of déjà vu washed over them when they pushed the door open. Floods of memories came as they sat down at the corner seat that they loved so much in the past. Nothing much had changed in Jennifer’s Bar in the last 10 years. The walls were still whitewashed with pictures of beaches on it. The tables and chairs were still the same old cheery wood that they had grown to be so fond of. Reaching down under the chair, Ashley found the carving marks that Allison, Natasha and her had left behind all those years before. That was something that they did when they were 19 and still playful. At 31 years old, Ashley felt like a 19 year old again as she traced the uneven carving marks that were under her chair. Natasha understood, for she was tracing hers under her chair. Her eyes filled as she looked at Ashley.
“So much have changed, Ash, and yet so much unchanged.”
She said softly. Ashley agreed silently. They were now married mothers and that made all the changes that they needed. Yet so much was unchanged. They were still fast friends and the carvings that they made 10 years ago were still so vividly unchanged. Even the settings in Jennifer’s Bar had not changed, after all these years. Ashley noticed that the only thing that had changed in Jennifer’s Bar was the waitresses. They changed year by year, as the young grew up and left. Many had left their sleepy town, but Natasha and Ashley had stayed because they found what they wanted there and maybe, just maybe, they knew that one day, their lust for the truth would be satisfied. They were waiting for it now. Maybe they would finally know.
They poked at their dinner when it came. Both of them had no appetite to eat as they waited for Allison to arrive. Somehow, both of them knew that this meeting would either resolve or strengthen whatever conflict they had all these years. It would be upsetting, but it would begin to heal the wound that was closed but was never truly gone. The anticipation was tensed. They wanted to know the truth, and yet they knew the truth was probably going to hurt them a lot more than not knowing at all. After all, the truth always hurts, doesn’t it? After all these years, Ashley and Natasha were finally going to know what truly happened to Ted all those years ago.
Allison came in promptly at 7 pm. She looked chic in her fur coat, but she looked so old that Ashley could hardly recognize her. But it was Allison all right. Her posture, the way she walked…Ashley’s eyes filled as she saw all too clearly that the years had not been too kind to Allison. Her face looked old and her eyes were hollow. Her whole appearance looked more like a 50 year old woman than a 31 year old woman. Ashley’s heart went all out for her as she drew near, but Natasha wasn’t that sympathetic. Her eyes hardened when she saw Allison, for despite all these years and the lacking evidence, Natasha had believed that Allison had something to do with Ted’s death. Ashley was suddenly afraid that Natasha might do something reckless tonight, and she prayed that she would have the strength to stop her.
Allison stopped beside Ashley and said, “Can I sit, Ashley?” Before she could answer, Natasha snapped.
“No, you may not! I will go sit beside her; you come over here and sit alone!” With that, Natasha shoved past Allison and sat down besides Ashley, nudging her not too gently into the corner.
“Oh Nat…” Ashley began, but Natasha gave her a furious glance and stared at Allison as she slipped into the seat opposite them.
“Alright! Speak!” Natasha said harshly. “We don’t have much time for you. We are needed at home.”
Allison looked scared and lost as she sat opposite Ashley and Natasha.
“Ashley, Natasha, how have you been?” Allison asked, trying to stall for time. Ashley’s heart melted at the sound of Allison’s voice, which had not changed from its gentleness after all these years.
“We didn’t come here to answer questions from you. We want answers from you, and you know what answers we are looking for.” Natasha said.
“Oh Ally! Where have you gone to all these years? Why didn’t you contact us?” Ashley cried, unable to control her soft heart and pent-up emotions. She had thought that she would hate Allison when she saw her again, but upon seeing Allison, nothing was left but sympathy and love.
“I am too ashamed to face you Ashley. Even after all these years, I am still ashamed to face you.” Allison said, covering her face with her hands.
Noting the sense of despair in her, Ashley reached out and touched her hands.
“Ally, I don’t blame you anymore. You can say what you want to say. I am sure Nat feels the same way too.”
Ashley nudged Natasha to get her to say something. Clearly affected as well despite her stern exterior, Natasha said gruffly,
“Yeah, although I can’t say that I do not blame you, but I can safely say that you can say what you want.”
Allison looked very uncomfortable and fearful as she began.
“Ash, before I even began, I have a confession to make and I want to apologize to you. I had an affair with Ted all those years ago. I was having an affair with him while he was with you. I knew I was wrong, but I loved him Ash! I really do. What I didn’t know was that I would cause him his death. Yes, I was still with Beaumont at that time, and I thought that I loved Beau. But I was wrong. I was in love with Ted all along. He was kind to me, and he listened. Even when he was busy, he would take the time out to listen to me. None of you did. You two were too engrossed in your studies and your relationships to note that I was sick. You two did not notice that I lost weight day by day. But Ted did. He gave me the support that was lacking in you two. I had cancer then and I needed the encouragement, but the two of you did not give me any.”
Ashley was dumbfounded at what she heard. Did Ted and Allison really lie to her all those years before? Her head started to pound as she stared blindly at Allison. Instincts told her that Natasha knew about it too, for she was far too quiet about this betrayal. Ashley was devastated by this double betrayal by the two closest friends she ever had, but she did not know what to think, or even feel. She did not know what she was feeling. Natasha put her hand over Ashley’s, and she did not even register the touch. Her inaction however, made Natasha felt better, as she was afraid that Ashley would reject her friendship now that she knew about the betrayal.
“Darn it Ally! Why didn’t you let us know about your illness back then?”
Natasha asked after an uncomfortable silence, feeling guilty that she didn’t realize it before and yet at the same time, she also wanted to give Ashley time to recover from her shock.
“I didn’t want to, Natasha. I knew that you two are going to have a bright future. I didn’t want you two to worry about me and thus lose the concentration that you needed for your studies. You were the bright ones, not me. I know I couldn’t go to college, but you two could. Ted noticed after some time, and he asked. In a moment of weakness, I told him about my illness and then made him swear that he would not tell the two of you. He kept the promise and soon the two of us began to develop feelings for each other as he began to visit me very often, bearing little gifts for me every time. He was so sweet Ash. I knew I might die anytime, thus, when Ted started entertaining thoughts of leaving you, Ash, I stopped him. I told him that I might die anytime and I am just not worthy of his attention. I stopped seeing him after that Ash.” Natasha narrowed her eyes at this last comment. She remembered vividly how she begged Allison to leave Ted. However, because of her guilt at not caring enough to notice Allison’s failing health, she left the discrepancy alone. “I should have never asked him to drive me to your party. He wouldn’t have died if I didn’t.” Allison concluded before lifting the coffee she ordered with shaking hands and slipped before continuing.
“I was late that night. I went out with Beau before I was supposed to go to your party Ash. I knew Ted did not invite Beau because he was not your personal friend and because Ted disliked him. So I had to lie to Beau, telling him that I had to go out with my parents. I planned to have my parents to come along, for I knew you wouldn’t have mind. However, my parents had to go to the next town that night, and I was kept out by Beau until 6.30pm. I was supposed to reach your place by 7pm that night to help out, but I just couldn’t make it without a car. So I had no choice. I called Ted, and asked him to come and fetch me before he went to your house. He was delighted and came over almost immediately. I was still pretty much unprepared for the party when he arrived at the door. So I had to invite him in to wait. He went up to my room to see what I was going to wear and well… things got pretty intense and we went too far with each other and forgot the time. Oh Ash, I am sorry. Please, please don’t turn away from me…”
“Stop, Ally, stop!” Ashley implored.
She wiped away the tears in her eyes as she stared at the wall, stinging at this confession. How she wished at that very moment that she had not come. Her misery was evident in her face and she swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat.
Allison stopped and waited till Ashley turned back and stared at the table again. Ashley’s eyes filled again at the thought of Ted and Allison’s betrayal. She felt angry and sad at the same time and she did not know what to do about it. She felt Natasha squeezing her hand but she made no move to return the gesture.
“By the time we realized that time had passed, it was already 8.30pm. I knew we had to hurry, so I asked Ted to go by the shortcut that went through the woods. Little did I know that Beau saw everything, and he wanted revenge in his rage…” Allison broke off at this point, shaking.
“Continue please.” Ashley mustered up her coolest voice to request Allison to continue.
“Beau killed Ted, Ashley! He was the one who killed him. He got away before I could get help for Ted. Beau had made sure I couldn’t get help by tying me tightly to a tree. That was why I was drenched in sweat and felt so weak by the time I reached your place that night looking for help. Beau wanted to make me look like the murderer.”
“Oh, my Lord! Why didn’t you say so at that time Ally? Aaron and his men would have caught Beaumont right there and then. How could you keep the truth hidden?” Natasha broke the silence that followed the revelation.
Ashley broke down and cried, leaning against Natasha. She had forgotten all about her anger at Natasha in her shock at the truth. Although she wanted to hate Allison for the betrayal, she found that she just couldn’t find the heart to do so. In the place of anger, there was only sorrow and pity for the woman who was once her close friend.
“It’s no use Ashley. He had his friends to hold my parents as hostages. He swears that he would kill them if I betrayed him, and I believe Beau when he said he would. He was capable of doing anything violent Ashley. I was so scared. And at that time, I was so convinced that I would die soon that I did not mind being the scapegoat, as long as I can save my parents. So I didn’t say anything, and Beau got away with murder that night. I am so sorry Ashley. I knew I was wrong now. I shouldn’t have gotten into an affair with Ted and I should have reported Beau at that time. I should have told Aaron that Beau was the killer. I just do not have the guts to. Please don’t hate me Ashley!”
With that, Allison broke down and cried.
Natasha was stunned after Allison revealed the killer. She had not expected the twist. All these years, she had suspected that Allison killed Ted just as she had threatened to all those years ago. Although Natasha had believed that Beaumont was capable of violence, she had never thought that he would resort to murder. Even so, something did not ring quite right with Allison’s story. How did Beaumont kill Ted? Beaumont had moved away right after Ted died. He claimed to have inherited a new house in England and moved away very suddenly. Now they knew why he wanted to move. They finally knew the truth. And it was more than they could take. It was such an unexpected twist to the truth that they expected to hear. They did not even suspect Beaumont. Nobody did and now they knew their mistakes. However, how did he manage to kill Ted without a trance of violence?
Natasha could not withhold her curiosity and asked,
“How did Beaumont killed Ted? How come there was no trance of blood on Ted?
“He was smart Nat. He forced Ted to drink poison that he had bought from the Middle East. Nobody knows about that kind of poison over here. Remember that I told you Beaumont had me tied to a tree? He told Ted that if he doesn’t drink the poison, he would rape and torture me before killing me. In despair, Ted drank the poison. He died for me!”
Hearing this, Ashley suddenly realized that Ted really did love Allison, and she ironically felt much better. She now knew that she would not have been happy with Ted had she married him. On impulse, Ashley squeezed out from the table and went over to Allison and hugged her tightly.
“I don’t want to blame you Ally. All these years, I still see you as a friend. I still love you Ally. Come back here and stay. We will sort it out. We are still friends.”
Looking at Natasha, Ashley said,” I don’t blame you too Nat. I know you have your reasons for not letting me know about the affair when it happened. I forgive you Nat, and I will always love you too.”
Moved beyond words at Ashley’s forgiving nature, Natasha came over and put her hands over the both of them and hugged them tightly.
“I still have something I did not say.” Allison drew back from the hugs and continued. “I had Beaumont arrested after my parents was released from his clutches. I moved my family to the outskirts of Manhattans and I contacted the police from there. Ted’s death was still an open case back then and I had Beau arrested and put to death after I ensured my family’s safety. It was the least I could do for Ted. He died for me. I had to do it for him.”
“You are right to do that Ally. You are the bravest of us all! I cannot imagine the agony that you had gone through all these years” Natasha said approvingly and smiled for the first time since they reunited.
Ashley smiled too and held both their hands. “We are sisters and we will always be sisters. Let’s put the past behind us and start afresh! I am so glad to have you back Ally!”
“I can’t stay long, my friends. I have to get back to Manhattans. I have a family there. I have a son and he needs me, so do my husband.” Allison said.
“I have to leave tonight, but I will leave you my address and telephone number so that we need not lose contact again. I will come back with my family one day, and if possible, do bring your families to see me sometimes.”
Allison began to scribble her address and telephone number down on napkins for both Natasha and Ashley as she talked.
“Why can’t you stay a bit longer Allison? Your husband wants you back as soon as possible?” Natasha asked.
“No, Nat. I have to go back because I have to work tomorrow. We are really quite poor. My husband spent all his money on me to cure me of cancer so now we need the money. I couldn’t come back here anytime before this because I had no money to buy the plane ticket. I have to save the money to come here. So I cannot afford to stay.”
Natasha and Ashley were shocked speechless for a second time that night.
“Then, how come your clothes were…?” Ashley recovered enough to ask. She couldn’t bring herself to ask if Allison had stolen them.
“They were my mother’s.” Allison explained. “They were the only precious things I have right now. I never sold them because they meant the world to me. And I figured that if the two of you didn’t want to forgive me, I could still walk out and have my pride. I wouldn’t want you two to know about my situation if you two had not forgiven me.”
“Oh Ally…you are so silly. Of course we would have forgiven you! Alright! We promise that we will come to visit as soon as the children break for their summer holidays. We can go for a nice long visit with you.” Ashley said and Natasha agreed.
The three of them had a hearty dinner before sending Allison to the airport as she needed to catch the 11pm flight out of Scotland. Both Ashley and Natasha waved until they could not see Allison anymore. On the way back to Ashley’s house, both of them were quiet for a long time.
“Ash, do you really forgive me for betraying you?” Natasha asked suddenly, slamming on the brake suddenly.
Ashley looked at her dearest friend. She was gripping the steeling wheel tightly again and her face was ashen-white as she waited for Ashley’s answer.
“Nat, don’t worry about that.” Ashley said gently. “I said I forgive you, and I really do. I know you must have your reasons for doing so. I forgive you Nat! I did not blame you for that. I do not want to blame you! I know that you did it in my best interests, although I was angry with you for deciding that on my behalf. But I understand that you must have gone through hell trying to keep it from me. You have never lied to me before”
“Yeah, Ash, and I never lied to you after that either. I went through hell and back trying to keep the secret from you, but it was worth it. My heart was shredding itself into pieces every time I saw all of you together. Having to choose between whom to betray was terrible. All of you are my friends. I chose not to tell you because I knew you will be devastated. I felt that I had to protect you, Ash. You were so fragile when we were in high school. I never did tell Chris either. I fear that he will force me to choose sides.”
“Oh Nat! I know! I know that all these years, you have never stopped protecting me. You are always there for me when I need you. I love you so much Nat! I really appreciate your love! But please remember that I will be here to protect you too, no matter what kind of dangers you are in. Our friendship is not one-way Nat, neither are we just friends. You are closer to me than a real sister can be!”
Ashley gripped Natasha’s hands and gave them a squeeze.
“Thanks Ash, thanks for being so understanding! I love you too!” Natasha cried in relief.
“You know,” Natasha turned serious and said, “It is this naïve streak inside you to trust everyone that makes me feel that I have to protect you. You just don’t seem to suspect anyone. I don’t think there is another person who is as trusting as you!”
“Gee, Nat. You made me sounds like an idiot! I am not that naïve, only that I believe that everyone is inherently good.” Ashley smiled.
Natasha looked taken aback and exclaimed, “You are not an idiot! You are just a silly saint!”
Ashley grinned at her and both of them laughed. The tension having resolved, Natasha then put the car in gear again and they continued their way back, keeping quiet for awhile as they each tried to sort out their own thoughts. Ashley broke the silence after some time.
“Nat? What say you that we give Ally a job in one of our cafes here and ask her to come back? We could give her and her family a better life.” Ashley suggested.
“Oh gosh, Ash! Are we that telepathic? I was just thinking of the same thing!” Natasha laughed. Ashley laughed along and soon they began to plot how to convince Allison and bring her back.
“I am glad we waited here and found our mark. We wouldn’t have known the truth if we had left here, Ash, and we wouldn’t have found our long lost friend again.” Natasha said as they neared Ashley’s house.
“Yeah, I am glad too, and I am so glad to have you as a friend, Nat! You are the best, and of coz, now we have Ally too!”
Both of them smiled as their families spilled from the house when the car stopped.
Questions of “how did it go” and “what happen” filled the air as they each lurched themselves into the arms of awaiting family members. They laughed as they were hugged and kissed and carried into the house, where the fire was already burning cheerfully. Ashley and Natasha were pampered with food and drinks as they retold the story to their husbands later that night after the children went to bed. They were so shocked to know that Beaumont was behind all that.
“But it’s all over now, dears.” Chris said and bent to kiss Natasha
“Yeah, it’s over now, and we can rest well from now on.” Steve said and hugged Ashley close to him.
Chris held Natasha close as he teased, “and Nat, you do have some punishments waiting for you for not telling me about it all those years ago! You made me so worried when you withdrew yourself from me. I thought you don’t love me anymore!”
“Yeah!” laughed Steve. “I remember how worried Chris was when he came to talk to me. He keeps telling me to help him. So I ask him sneakily to introduce me to that gorgeous girlfriend of yours Nat, then I will help him.” Steve fondly squeezed Ashley as he grinned at her. Ashley playfully slapped his hands away as she settled comfortably into his arms.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment